Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
Hi folks, dropping by with a review of my new Oris RFDS if anyone's interested
JY
September 06, 2014 04:32PM
My favourite watch shops are friendly and unpretentious ones which have an interesting range of mid-range watches not found in the average jewellery store. When in Melbourne I always pay a visit to Antiquorum, and in Sydney it's always Fredman SVW. I was in Sydney recently and ended up in Fredman's perusing their ever-changing stock as I had done many times before. However on this occasion I had a wad of guilt-free watch money (courtesy of a recent car sale) in my pocket... I looked through the diverse window display of Rolex, Omega, Panerai and Oris, then went through all the counters in the small store containing Maurice Lacroix, Luminox, Tissot and Seiko Ananta among others.

The Longines Legend Diver attracted my eye, as usual, but the 42mm case always seems just a little too small for me no matter how much I love the aesthetics of this watch so I kept looking.

I didn't see any credible candidates for my hard-earned $ and I was about to leave when I spotted a previously unnoticed Oris in the window display. The dual crowns caught my eye and I asked for a closer look. The ever-obliging staff handed it to me for a closer look saying it was the limited edition Royal Flying Doctor model:

My first impression was 'WOW'. I had been looking for a dressier watch than I normally wear, and I love dual crowns. I have also admired many Oris models in the past and thought that there would be one in my future... It was an auto (naturally), had an internal rotating bezel, an exhibition caseback and a bracelet, all features I am very fond of. The icing on the cake was that this model also had an Aussie connection - the RFDS is an iconic organisation in Australia.

On closer inspection I saw a double domed domed sapphire internally AR coated crystal, and sapphire exhibition glass, and what I now know to be an Oris movement Cal. 735, based on a Sellita SW 220.

I tried the 44mm case on and it felt naturally at home on my wrist, the chunky crowns adding 'visual weight' without protruding enough to cause any discomfort. The store owner said it was the last one they had and offered me 30% off the retail price. I asked for another 10% off and he confidently said 'No, but please shop around and you'll find that I have best price by far - you'll be back'. I went outside and did a quick internet search on my phone then went back in and told him to wrap it up.

The slim case is brushed and has a polished coin-edge outer bezel and polished screw-down crowns.

The bracelet is 22mm at the lugs and narrows to 18mm at the clasp. It was initially uncomfortable (it felt too thin) and a bit of a hair puller, but since adjusting it to a perfect fit both of those problems have vanished. The bracelet is polished despite the case being brushed but the combo, in tandem with the polished bezel and crowns, looks great in my opinion.The clasp is a brushed deployant released by the polished spring-loaded button on the side, and operates very smoothly.

Something that is not immediately visible upon inspecting the watch is that the top of the case is machined so that the outer bezel is slightly recessed in it, aiding the slimness. The Oris is a mere 9-10mm thick, making it remarkably comfortable as it sits so flat on the wrist. At the same time it feels hefty and substantial, but doesn't flop around like many thicker watches can - perfect. Both crowns are 'signed', the lower one with the manufacturer's name and the upper quaintly with a silhouette of Australia, a subtle and delightful touch.

I find the dial design just about 'perfect' - the sword and seconds hands are long enough for my liking and the main dial is incredibly legible. In keeping with the medical theme there is a pulsation scale in orange - not something I will ever use, but a subtle reminder of the model's theme which also adds a little colour. An odd but attractive aspect is that the day window is at 3 o’clock and date window between 4 and 5 o’clock.

The dished internal bezel also has a couple of interesting features; firstly, and most unusually, it ratchets uni-directionally counter-clockwise when the upper crown is rotated, a feature I'd never seen before. Secondly it has timezone changes marked every half an hour, as happens in Australia.

The gorgeous blue SuperLuminova lume glows brightly when charged and quickly fades to a long-lasting level for several hours. I have not measured the duration but reports from elsewhere suggest that it remains eminently visible all-night. The bezel hour pips are also lumed, a pleasant addition.

Overall this is a beautifully constructed timepiece. Everything is in perfect alignment, the crowns operate flawlessly, the movement winds with butter smoothness, the inner bezel ratchets accurately and every component is meticulously finished.

I was looking for something a little dressy that had little overlap with my existing collection and which had some of my favourite features. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome! In fact, in some ways this is my 'perfect watch', combining most of the things I love in a single watch with all-day comfort.

Postscript: packaging doesn't usually interest me, but Oris have provided quite a spectacular set for this watch including a massive box complete with a genuine leather Oris/RFDS wallet and high quality hard covered folder containing a colour owner's manual and warranty cards etc - great effort.

The final bonus was that the shop also gave me a shrink-wrapped Oris hard-cover book which they said retails for $100. Score!

Thanks for reading, take care all.

From Australia, the Land Down Under.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 03:14AM by JY.
Subject Author Views Posted
Hi folks, dropping by with a review of my new Oris RFDS if anyone's interested Jpeg Attachments JY 760 September 06, 2014 04:32PM
Nice review. Thumbs Up It looks good on your wrist. And it's a little unusual. Enjoy! (n/t) Dave M 318 September 09, 2014 04:10AM
Beautiful and unique watch! Definitely a great catch. (n/t) benhemp 394 September 08, 2014 10:53PM
Agreed, but then I am a little biased. Wink (n/t) JY 396 September 09, 2014 12:38AM
Very cool Oris and great review - love the dial and the modern size - classy! Thumbs Up (n/t) Mike D 373 September 08, 2014 04:13PM
Thanks Mike, it's a keeper without a doubt (n/t) JY 348 September 09, 2014 12:37AM
Awesome watch! (n/t) Micha 385 September 08, 2014 12:16PM
Merci Micha (n/t) JY 361 September 08, 2014 04:10PM
What an outstanding review of an incredible watch!! I literally felt your joy and pride!! THANKS! ApplauseApplause (n/t) JohnnyT 345 September 08, 2014 10:41AM
Thanks Johnny, it's that kind of a watch (n/t) JY 389 September 08, 2014 04:10PM
It looks like all the stars were aligned and it was waiting for you! Timemiser 363 September 08, 2014 09:27AM
Resistance was futile! (n/t) JY 298 September 08, 2014 04:08PM
Very nice Oris and generous review Thumbs Up (n/t) dodo 323 September 08, 2014 08:49AM
Cheers mate, TY (n/t) JY 393 September 08, 2014 04:11PM
Awesome find. So much to like about that. Enjoy. Cheers! (n/t) Robmks 346 September 08, 2014 05:26AM
And to think I nearly failed to spot it - must have been karma at work Smile (n/t) JY 407 September 08, 2014 04:11PM
that must be the most legible complex dial I have ever seen, congratulations (n/t) solex 359 September 08, 2014 04:55AM
It really is 'stunningly clear' - some impressive design at work there (n/t) JY 377 September 08, 2014 04:59AM
That's a beautiful watch- thank you for the informative review! (n/t) marsss25 360 September 08, 2014 04:51AM
I appreciate your kind words Smile (n/t) JY 370 September 08, 2014 04:53AM
Awesome Review! Underappreciated brand Oris is...I think I'll wear my Oris tomorrow Smile (n/t) r.e.c. 292 September 07, 2014 08:44PM
Re: I think I'll wear my Oris tomorrow Smile JY 386 September 08, 2014 04:52AM
That looks like one beautiful and interesting watch! Congrats! (n/t) TakesALickin 404 September 07, 2014 06:39AM
Ta Jeff, I'm loving it on my wrist (n/t) JY 406 September 08, 2014 04:51AM
Great review. It is eye catching & if I'm not mistaken my kids pediatrician also sports one. Wink (n/t) Hector 416 September 07, 2014 05:48AM
Thanks Hector, check out the Doc's next time you see him (n/t) JY 329 September 08, 2014 04:50AM
awsome watch and great review Applause (n/t) Jan 383 September 07, 2014 02:29AM
Cheer Jan, TY (n/t) JY 349 September 07, 2014 03:15AM
Great review, great watch. What´s not to like? Thumbs Up (n/t) PN 327 September 07, 2014 12:56AM
Thank you, and I couldn't agree more. Smile (n/t) JY 345 September 07, 2014 02:09AM
Cheers! What a great looking watch! And I am sure about the quality! Excellent! ApplauseCheers! (n/t) IF 338 September 06, 2014 09:57PM
Thanks Ioannis, It's certainly well put together. (n/t) JY 348 September 07, 2014 12:10AM
Congrats on the catch, it's beautiful and unusual Thumbs Up (n/t) BobbyMike 333 September 06, 2014 05:17PM
Thanks mate - I get the feeling it's going to be a 'keeper' (n/t) JY 401 September 07, 2014 12:10AM
Thumbs Up Beautiful watch JY, and a very nice write up! Applause Bravo! Thank you! (n/t) Thomas 411 September 06, 2014 05:08PM
Cheers, glad you enjoyed it (n/t) JY 326 September 07, 2014 12:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!