Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
Watches bought on purpose (I'd say 'grails') versus watches which were just nice and available...
avatar November 07, 2018 07:41AM
We all know how it goes, browsing the Bay, Craigslist, Watchrecon, etc, and there's a watch speaking to you and can't resist, as there's money burning in your pocket and the watch speaks just enough to you, to buy it. That's the way I bought a lot of watches in the past, especially browsing the Bay.

Times have changed though, there is less personal money to burn, local customs even pay attention to way cheaper Chinese manufactured items/watches and ALWAYS to watches from the America's (and Japan) which are usually a lot cheaper then from the EU continent, but high shipping and customs really spoils it. A lot of watches I bought in the past, I started to like more once purchased, some were flippered, some offered on the shrine of the "grails" (or need/wants).

Let's show some, those I'm talking about:

This one especially, since I found out, it looks best on the hommage to the Super Engineer II bracelet, with the square sides on the links. The watch comes from the States and I collected it at family while visiting.

I wanted a Precisionist, and there were a lot on offer, and found this affordable one in the UK, so just a bit higher price, but less shipping and no customs. Rubber tire, sorry strap Wink, off and a fine wide thick mesh from China and I like it every time I wear it...

I found this one in Eastern Europe, said to be 40 mm side to side, but of course the seller couldn't measure, also the day wheel screwed up, as soon as I wanted it to operate. Seller angry, I confronted him with it and still don't know why he send it with the most disgusting stinky leather strap I ever found on a used watch. Makes me sick Still, the watch was in great shape, looked the part on the fine mesh and I like it every time I wear it, even with the smaller size. A member of the Dutch forum repaired it lovingly and even fixed the setting and it is almost perfect now:

I wanted another Eco Drive and found this badass ProMaster, said to be malfunctioning and with a broken rubber strap, lugsize 23 mm. As I suspected: to long in the dark, so after a long light bath it was OK again. A 24 mm mesh from a well known (expensive) Canadian seller (this was a bidding type on eBay and I lucked out, almost as cheap as some Chinese mesh bands I found later) and pushing the chains a bit in and it fitted on a 23 lug.

This was a finer eco drive, I bought (from the States, high shipping and customs etc...), because I loved the special Ray Mears version unibody watches with the large knurled crown so much and the one I had from a German guy (the silvery white GMT) was pretty scratched and after polishing it somewhat, it lost the names on the bezel and there was not enough depth to fill in with paint. This one had a decorative bezel, which can't be turned. This one has a somewhat old battery and sometimes, when it slips under the cuff and comes out again, I'll see the hand jump forward quickly, as it was saving energy. Still has an interesting mechanical/electric system as I pointed out before (setting time is more like electric driven then mechanically). It has the nicest multicoloured dial ever, black, then grey, brown, blueish and so forth! Cool

When I decided to sell the aforementioned silvery/white GMT, I could not suspect, that not long after that, I would find another GMT in lovely blue and very well preserved in the Dutch forum. It came with papers stating it was bought in my hometown when new(!!!), also a bill it had a new solar battery mounted in Germany(!), then was owned by a Dutchman again (I expect it was once owned by a German who had the battery swap done) and it returned to it's place of original shop! Smile It came on a blue linnen strap I didn't like much and asked the American buyer of my silvery/white GMT to sell me the bracelet of his watch back to me and I send him the strap and a nice payment. Thus happened! Now I have two unibody watches I like very much!

Talking about Eco Drives: I always liked the Citizen Orca, especially on titanium bracelet, and always thought, let it be, way to expensive to even bother... Then it happened: It was offered on the Bay, only countrywide! If it was offered Europe-wide, let alone worldwide, it would have gained enough interest to make a nice price, but it started at € 50,00 and nobody took it. That is, I sniped it, not expecting it would work! Crazy Tongue out Whistle I had some issues with the bracelet which was to short, he send me links....for a ladies Rolex(!?!) but finally after some discussion and shipping envelopes to and from, I finally had it fitting for around € 60. Blushing

I always wanted a tuna style watch, but just couldn't afford it, then I saw the early Chinese version of a tuna. It was a Divex, which also were issued by a host of other brands, even Deep Blue!

It came from France on a loooong rubber strap, obviously long enough for over a diving suit. I liked it, but then I found an almost similar watch from Army Watch Germany (in Portugal) with a neon colored minute hand. My first intention was to have the minute hands swapped (I like the markers on the dial better from the Divex), but then someone told me, that sometimes the (Chinese) hands they use, are one time wonders and they sometimes break if replaced. Then someone from Canada (from this forum Wink) showed interest in the Divex on rubber strap (I had it swapped on a Bandfever bracelet, in those days cheap for me, because of the high Euro as it came from the States). So there it went to Canada, the Army Watch Germany had the Bandfever and all is still well... Wink

One day, someone in the UK offered an all red Trias on eBay, and I loved the style (again, with that big knurled crown!!) Laughing and only once saw a similar watch on this forum as Mike had one! I never, ever saw it elsewhere, just orange and yellow ones with black bezels. Never saw one of these for sale though, I think those who were issued are still with people which hang on to theirs...

These are all watches, I didn't buy on purpose, but started to like as soon as I received them! Another time I tell you which watches I bought on purpose, were looking for them for a (long) while...

--
Jim©
So many hobbies, so little money...

state of the collection

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 07:51AM by James T. Kirk©.
Subject Author Views Posted
Watches bought on purpose (I'd say 'grails') versus watches which were just nice and available... Jpeg Attachments James T. Kirk© 95 November 07, 2018 07:41AM
I honestly just got it. Jpeg Attachments Tim H 44 November 09, 2018 12:21AM
I know what you mean, that's why I started this thread to show those "not bought on purpose" , but still becoming keepers... (n/t) James T. Kirk© 34 November 09, 2018 03:57AM
Those are good finds, Johan. Thumbs Up I've had a lot of impulse purchases over the years and most of those, I've sold... Jpeg Attachments Mike D 44 November 07, 2018 09:48PM
I own more watches, but these are the keepers, who were unplanned and then there are the purpose bought ones... James T. Kirk© 37 November 08, 2018 02:31AM
An interesting perspective & one that I suspect a lot of us share. Lord knows how may watches I've purchased either because it was the flavor of the month or just plain cool looking. One thing is for sure, buying on-line without trying one on in the flesh RussMurray 37 November 07, 2018 10:36AM
Thank you! Russ! Thumbs Up Next time, those I bought on purpose... Wink (n/t) James T. Kirk© 39 November 07, 2018 02:03PM
Thumbs Up (n/t) JohnSNY 39 November 07, 2018 09:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!