Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
I'm a genius! Just paid $150 for an $80 watch! :-O Wait! What?
March 14, 2019 12:05PM

Hmm, now that I say that, it doesn't seem as smart anymore??? Sad

In any case, I saw this somewhat small, but very nicely styled, rectangular watch for sale.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

It is a 1988 Spirit "Contemporary Basic"? What the heck is that? But when I check the case-back shot I saw the movement listed as 5S21-5A00. 5S21??!

WOW! I thought to myself, this must be some special mechanical movement related to the famous 4S21 movement! I started my research...

But no! It turns out the 5S21 is a strange movement from the late 1980s, that incorporates a fairly standard quartz watch movement with stepper motors to move the hands with a mechanical "smoothing" mechanism that causes the second hand to precess around the dial smoothly like a modern Spring Drive! And even with this marvelous feature they were not expensive, like usually around $80 or less.

I found a few designs doing a Google search and looking at the "Images", but none of them were as classic or attractive as this one. (Notice the blue hands in the second picture.)

And that is how I ended up paying US$150 for an US$80 watch! Laughing As an added bonus, as I was putting all the auction screen-shots and description text away for my records, it looks like this is my only Seiko from the 1980s!!! I can't believe that my collection of hundreds of Seikos would have that large a gap!! Dozens from the 70s, dozens from the 90s, but not one from the 80s?!? Whistle

Well, problem solved! Wink

- Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 12:06PM by Thomas.
Subject Author Views Posted
I'm a genius! Just paid $150 for an $80 watch! :-O Wait! What? Image Attachments Thomas 52 March 14, 2019 12:05PM
Thumbs Up We may need video for that. Smile (n/t) BF Hammer 26 March 14, 2019 02:36PM
Congratulations! I love it. Thumbs Up (n/t) Dbyers 22 March 14, 2019 01:10PM
Strange name, but a good looking watch. Even a nice logo on the crown. Enjoy ....... Cheers! (n/t) Robmks 23 March 14, 2019 12:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!