Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
A little story about my last 2 photo treks.
No, it is not really amusing, but it helps explain why we are 10 months into this year and don't have any pics for my photo calendar. Crying

Yes, I had some health issues this year. Bad teeth at the beginning of the year. Bad ankles from a prescription I was taking (since changed). Problems with my digestion, which was caused by a hernia. Had surgery, finally better. Used the hell out of my health insurance though.

So about 3 weeks ago I do a photo trek. I revisited 2 places. One I tried to get a sunrise, but there was fog and I was about 5 minutes late in arriving. Did get some photos, but the fog not helping. Then picked up my sister to hike at another location, and it went OK. First time I tried to photograph the location in early fall. But we got a bit lost at the end of the trail, and had a hard time navigating a steep slope in woods. We did get out of that and on the right trail. However somewhere in there or shortly after my Nikon 24mm AF lens froze-up. And I mean that the focus ring on the lens could not be turned without cranking hard on it. Now I was using this old lens on my oldest D80 body because I was concerned about carrying around my good equipment there. But still, that 24mm was my 2nd lens I bought for the D80 (3rd counting the kit lens), and specifically for this kind of hiking. Had it since 2007. It is pretty much trash now. Not many usable shots from that location either.

Now this past week I saw an opportunity to try to photography the Aurora Borealis. I have an Aurora tracking/forecast app on my tablet, and I saw after coming home from work an alert that the KP level was unusually high, but we were still before sunset. Short term forecast was to trend up to around 7, plenty good enough for my latitude if the weather co-operates. Sun was shining bright as it set, I figured let's try to photograph the Aurora that night. Got 4 miles down the road to my pre-scouted location, and my check engine light comes on in my Jeep. Engine's running good, but I am just spooked enough, go home and change to my Buick and try again. Well the moon was nearly full last week, there was just enough haze on the horizons that the stars mostly disappeared. I did see 2 very faint columns of green flare-up early, lasting maybe a second each. But it was not enough to warrant even getting out of the car into the cold and setting up. Checking my app after a while revealed that the KP was way past peak and now below acceptable level for my latitude. Mostly a bust.

So I scanned for the code this weekend on the Jeep, it is an oxygen sensor and I would have been fine to keep driving all night. I'll fix it next weekend. I tried to disassemble the Nikon 24mm, but the problem is deep inside. Not worth bothering to fix an inexpensive 2nd-hand lens over 20 years old. But you see how the gods just seem to be telling me to stay home this year. Angry

/rant off

BF Hammer - the new and improved screen name of Chris L
Subject Author Views Posted
A little story about my last 2 photo treks. BF Hammer 333 October 16, 2016 05:09PM
Oh man! :o Hang in there Chris! (n/t) Cmoy 236 November 28, 2016 11:29AM
Good luck , Chris! Smile (n/t) IF 237 November 16, 2016 07:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!