Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
RawTherapee: my favorite new photo editor.
avatar February 25, 2017 07:27PM
Been using RawTherapee for a couple of years now to process my RAW images. However I never really tried it out for existing JPEG images before. I upgraded to ver5.0 and decided to try this out.

So here are some sample images I have around. Actually these are all originally 35mm film negatives scanned with a very inexpensive film scanner. I present a before and after in each case. With the before images, you can see how they tend to be heavily vignetted (due to the single LED backlighting) and the import software leaves the pictures with too much contrast and too much black/shadow.

A B/W from 1982, for my high school photography class (still have all the negatives on file).
Before:

After:

From sometime in the 1990's, these are my oldest sister's 2 boys. They are in their 30's now, so I would say early 1990s. Taken with a Pentax point-n-shoot 35mm at Truax Field in Madison.
Before:

After:

1998 Las Vegas Hilton. Star Trek - The Experience. Taken with a different Pentax point-n-shoot (this one had electronic date stamps, obviously) Smile

Before:

After:

And my other sister's daughter. This is taken with a Minolta XD-11. I notice I used the speedlight, not sure which of my 2 lenses I had. I think it was the zoom, I would have shot without flash if I used the 45mm prime instead. This was 1999 or 2000 by my estimate.

Before:

After:

While there are some limits to removing ISO 400 film grain (the airshow pic could have even been ISO 1600), I am pretty impressed with the ability to manipulate images saved as JPEG. The vignette filter in RawTherapee was impressive. I could actually recreate some color range and not have it be so overly contrasted.

RawTherapee is open-source software available for Windows - Mac - various Linux builds. Give it a try if you cannot afford Lightroom. Smile

BF Hammer - the new and improved screen name of Chris L
Subject Author Views Posted
RawTherapee: my favorite new photo editor. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 173 February 25, 2017 07:27PM
NICE results! Thumbs Up (n/t) Cmoy 87 March 20, 2017 06:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!