Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
Incoming: a whole bunch of not exciting items. Laughing
avatar February 17, 2018 09:16AM
I have been seriously putting my mind into my tripod situation this year. I started with a cheap $30 lightweight pan-head tripod 15 years ago. Then following the conventional wisdom I bought a pretty cheap (as in under $100) upgrade tripod with a lightweight ball-head and 4 segment multi-angle legs. Well the ball-head was pretty bad, and the aluminum legs were not that steady with a lot of flex. But again, it does work with a light load. My current tripod was bought on a deal-a-day site and was another upgrade. Carbon-fiber, but only 3 segment legs (as in bulky to carry), and a very nice to use pistol-grip head. But the pistol-grip head also the weakness of this 'pod as it is unstable under a heavy lens/body setup. I am sure the legs are up to the task of an upgrade to a heavier ball-head. I also have picked up a very nice monopod along the way, but never bought any sort of head or quick-release for it.

In the process of researching a new head for the tripod, I came to a secondary decision that I want to go fully Arca-Swiss compatible quick-release on everything. Only having one proprietary quick-release per tripod really drove me insane a few times. I hate unscrewing a quick-release and transferring to another piece of equipment in the field, and the quick-release plates on the stuff I have is really bad anyhow. I wedge stuff in them now to tighten-up the connection.

I have not purchased the ball-head yet, but I have decided on what it will be. Just hoping for a price drop in the coming weeks before I have to purchase. I am also considering buying either a full gimbal-head or a decent video-style fluid head. There are advantages and disadvantages to either. Actually there is one photographer with a video that is very persuasive with his case for using a fluid head for still photography. I'm working on what I think will be right for me. But to begin the process, I have purchased a whole bunch of Arca-Swiss compatible stuff that I will want anyhow.

Starting with the DSLR connections: 1 L-Bracket each for my D7000 and a D80 body. This allows you to clamp in the tripod in landscape and portrait mode without tilting the head over 90 degrees.

Picked up 2 of these quick-release clamps that attach directly to the top of the older pistol-grip head or even the base of the tripod/monopod directly.

2 of these longer Arca-Swiss size sliding lens plates, which allow you to find the correct balance point and clamp in place there. One each for my new Sigma 150-600mm and Nikkor 500mm reflex lens

Because they are cheap, 3 spare normal-size plates for any other camera, speedlight, or other needed device.

A different quick-release that can be used as a right-angle converter. It has dovetails in the base that fit into another Arca-Swiss clamp and they are 90-degrees offset from the clamp on top. Could come into play with the next item.

Last item purchased in this opening batch is a simple tilt-head for the monopod. The base can either screw-in direct or clamp into a quick-release. Don't really need more for that purpose. Smile

These were all purchased in one batch from multiple vendors on ebay. They will be shipping in to me in batches for the next 8 weeks. By the time they all arrive I should have a new Sirui K-30x ball-head purchased and a final decision on the gimbal vs. fluid head.

BF Hammer - the new and improved screen name of Chris L
Subject Author Views Posted
Incoming: a whole bunch of not exciting items. Laughing Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 101 February 17, 2018 09:16AM
Thumbs Up I‘ve got one of those Sirui ballheads, they are top notch. The first tripod head I have to Micha 77 February 18, 2018 12:04AM
Update, now have won an auction for a K-40x BF Hammer 79 February 19, 2018 05:06PM
The ball-head arrived today, and some of the other items... BF Hammer 72 February 23, 2018 07:54PM
Thumbs Up (n/t) Micha 71 February 20, 2018 07:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!