Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
Using the moon to try out the new Sirui ball-head
avatar February 26, 2018 08:13PM
Took these at sunset. Sky was not black at all, but underexposure made it look like midnight. This is using the new Sirui K-40x ball-head on my Sunpak carbon fiber tripod. I give a similar crop for each, and try to adjust each photo in RawTherapee best I can.

First is the "control". D7000 + Nikkor 500mm reflex lens, ISO500, f8, 1/1000s

Next 2 are with Sigma 150-600mm C lens. ISO 400, 1/1250s in Shutter Priority mode. Used autofocus.

At 500mm setting to see if not taking to the full zoom makes a difference in sharpness.

At full 600mm.

The Nikkor has no autofocus, but I have an auto-exposure and focus "chip" installed in the lens to help make it easier to use with my D7000 on M or A mode. I had the autofocus lock indicator showing in the viewfinder. Still comes out soft like past moon photos I have taken with this lens. But the camera didn't shake as much with the new ball head. It did settle-down after touching the camera every time. The old pistol-grip ball head would normally just keep shaking with that reflex lens.

The Sigma lens is much sharper. I don't see any real difference from 500mm to 600mm.

BF Hammer - the new and improved screen name of Chris L
Subject Author Views Posted
Using the moon to try out the new Sirui ball-head Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 264 February 26, 2018 08:13PM
nice pics Thumbs Up (n/t) MarkKershaw 102 May 31, 2018 07:52AM
I've been revisiting these images lately to make a better wallpaper. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 111 May 29, 2018 06:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!