Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Show your ad here! Mail admin@walletfriendlywatchforum.com for rates

Advanced
SELENS SE-MP01 tilt-head for a monopod.
I have had a nice quality monopod for years now, but I never bought a head to go with it. I tried using the cheapie ball-head on this, but it still had the same problems as it did on a tripod. Mostly I screwed the camera or lens mount directly to the tripod when I used it. If I needed to tilt up or down, I had to lean the monopod. Too much lean meant removing and hand-holding the camera.

So many people use a ball-head on a monopod, some others might use a video head. I mainly shoot stills, I can turn the pod if I need to pan. I just require up-down adjustment. For $40 on ebay, enter this surprisingly solid, simple tilt-head.

This is solid metal with minimal plastic used. I only see plastic used for the trim-caps of the knobs, and on the bubble level. There is 180 degrees range of tilt. Both the tilt adjust knob and the clamp knob are large and easy to grab. It works simply. It should hold up to being dropped or knocked around.

This has the standard threaded mount hole for attaching to a monopod (or a tripod if you must). But notice that the bottom is not round, and it has a bevel on it. It is made to also fit into an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp. This way a person can have a clamp mounted directly to the handle of a monopod for simple attachment to a camera, or add the tilt-head as needed. The Arca-Swiss clamp on the head itself works well and has a built-in bubble level, but maybe does not clamp in quite as far as some other clamps. I discovered this when using an adapter, but all other plates I tested fit fine.

Now there is an issue using this head with a L-bracket on a camera body. The clamp is aligned the wrong way, but is correct to use with a long-telephoto lens with it's own tripod mount collar. This is fixed by using a 90-degree adapter for a camera body, or else mount a standard plate on the camera body aligned for the tilt-head.

Personally I have chosen to screw this directly to my monopod. I have the option to change that. I even have a spare quick-release clamp to do this with (review farther down). But for now I don't see why I need to do it. But this is a much needed addition to my monopod. I should have done this long ago.

BF Hammer - the new and improved screen name of Chris L
Subject Author Views Posted
Watch Review of all the photo accessories I bought in the last year. Part 1, Sirui K-40X ball-head. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 43 April 10, 2018 07:34PM
SELENS SE-MP01 tilt-head for a monopod. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 16 April 11, 2018 01:11PM
A pair of L-brackets for D7000 and D80 bodies. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 17 April 11, 2018 12:40PM
Andoer tripod head lever-lock Arca-Swiss comaptible clamp. Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 17 April 11, 2018 11:51AM
Generic Arca-Swiss compatible quick-release clamp adapter Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 17 April 11, 2018 11:00AM
Long-length Arca-Swiss mount plates Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 16 April 11, 2018 08:27AM
PIXEL TC-252 intervalometer-timer-remote shutter release Jpeg Attachments BF Hammer 18 April 11, 2018 07:40AM
Nice write ups Chris took me a while to get through all of them... BobbyMikeRedux 15 April 11, 2018 03:31PM
Thanks Micheal. I hope I conveyed how sometimes inexpensive items can help with photography too. BF Hammer 16 April 11, 2018 04:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Our thanks to our WF-WF Sponsors!